[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Mon Feb 25 19:54:54 UTC 2008
Bob Taylor <bob8221 at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 12:41 -0500, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

[snip]

> Bob,
>
> Lets get this fixed so we can kill this thread.

I agree totally! The problem is with rpm. It refuses to install a non
i386 rpm. I have verified this by downloading the latest kernel rpm. I
had to use --ignorearch flag to get rpm to install it. Now how do I get
this flag to yum? I have exactarch=0 in /etc/yum.conf which I presumed
was to fix this. It does not work. I have tried to pass this flag
via /root/.rpmmacros with no help. So, why do only myself apparently
have this problem? One other item. I made *no* changes to any yum files
after installation except the addition of (maybe) rpmforge. One kernel
was updated around this time. My guess is the problem started around the
update to 5.1. Anybody have any input as to why at least one person does
not have this problem? What could he have that is different from me
regarding yum and rpm? Reading this I apologize for the ramble.

Oct 10 09:14:15 Installed: kernel.i686 2.6.18-8.1.14.el5
Last kernel update. A lot of activity Oct 12-15. Possible 5.1 update
during this period.

> Can you include the output of these commands:
>
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
>
> # yum list installed '*yum*'
>
> # cat /etc/yum.conf
>
> # cat /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo

I removed yum and reinstalled then yum update yum with no help. No sense
to include these again here.

> >From these we should be able to determine if your base installation
> is correct.

It is *not* a yum config problem.

> If it isn't a config problem then we can look at permissions and
> network next.

See above.

--
Bob Taylor