[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Mon Feb 25 21:51:49 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

John R Pierce wrote:
> Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> > On Monday 25 February 2008, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> >
> >> Lets get this fixed so we can kill this thread.
> >>

> > Good initiative, but since the layer beneath also fails
> (rpm) maybe we should
> > start there. rpm -qi kernel or maybe bad stuff in
> /etc/sysconfig kernel.
> >
> > The interesting error from RPM suggests that it thinks the
> machine is an i586
> > (or atleast not i686).
> >

> indeed, lets add....
>
>     $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> to the possibly interesting info to post here...

Sure, C5 kernels only come in the i686 or x86_64 variety.

Maybe the OP's rpm thinks it's on x86_64?

'package kernel-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5 is intended for a i686 architecture'

is the kind of error one would see when installing i386 on x86_64,
the kernel rpm file has a list of unsupported architectures and it
will spit out this error when installing i386 on x86_64.

-Ross