[CentOS] HD Failures

Tue Feb 26 08:13:07 UTC 2008
Jed Reynolds <lists at bitratchet.com>

Jimmy Bradley wrote:
>       I'm just curious if any one else has noticed this. I've bought
> hard drives from both Walmart and Best Buy. If I can wait, I order them
> from newegg.com. I'm beginning to think that the staff at both Walmart
> and Best Buy, somewhere along the supply line must dribble the drives
> like basket balls. The reason I say that is all the drives I have bought
> from those two places fail within a few months time. Has anyone else
> noticed that? Just curious

You might want to consider them as possibly recycled drives. If you
don't have a copy of SpinRite you can force the drive to check all the
sectors with fdisk ...

fdisk -f -y -c -c

or if you are formatting,

mkfs.ext3 -c -c

will also do this check.

This will byte-swap check and should force updates of SMART statistics
and  bad-sector detection on the drive.

Jed