[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Tue Feb 26 20:27:23 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Bob Taylor wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 08:14 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> what happens if you edit /etc/rpm/platform and change it too:
> >>
> >> i686-redhat-linux
> >
> > Nothing.
> >
> > I downloaded the current rpm file this morning and ran rpm -Uvh
> > --force /home/brtaylor/rpm-4.4.2-47.el5.i386.rpm.
> >
> > Rpm seems to behave oddly. I had downloaded the current kernel rpm and
> > installed it with the command rpm -ivh --ignorearch [file] successfully.
> > I can not remove it with the command rpm -e kernel-2.6.18-53.1.13 but
> > can if I add .el5 to the end it does. Before I deleted it I ran the
> > command rpm -ql kernel and all three kernels rpm files were listed
> > including the kernel rpm which rpm -e said wasn't installed. This
> > doesn't make sense to me.
> >
> > I have done the following:
> >
> > rpm -Uvh --force /home/brtaylor/rpm-4.4.2-47.el5.i386.rpm
> > edit /etc/rpm/platform to i686-redhat-linux
> > rpm -e kernel-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
> > yum clean all
> > yum upgrade kernel
> > returned Installed: kernel.i686 0:2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
> > Complete!
> >
> > It looks like the problem may be in rpm after 4.4.2-37. Before I go to
> > the rpm people, I need to confer with Ray Van Dolson who says his is the
> > same as mine and he has no problem updating kernels. After Ray and I
> > resolve this issue, I will send a last email to the list hopefully
> > ending this subject with the resolution to this problem.
> >

> The problem was most likely the /etc/rpm/platform
>
> if it is i386 and not i686 then is will not allow i686 RPMS
> to be installed.
>
> That file should only be updated IF anaconda does an install
> or upgrade.

Good to note, I was under the impression that it might be set
in the initrd in case a different kernel image is installed.

> It should only be i386 of it is installed on a pentium
> classic processor
> (or equivalent).

Would anaconda even allow C5 to install on such a class cpu?

> That is the only cause of the "incompatible arch".
>
> Nothing in centos except an install/upgrade via anaconda should ever
> tough that file, so once you change it, it should remain changed.
>
> Reboot a couple times and makes sure it (/etc/rpm/platform)
> stays the same.
>
> If it changes we need to figure out why.

I think there may be a case or two of bad packages updating that file
I believe these are some dumb Mozilla plugins though, googling got
me these:

http://dnmouse.webs.com/playdvdsmore.htm

and here:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/

The OP had a lot of kitchen sinks installed maybe a broken plugin
was the cause of all that grief. Probably right around the time
he installed that repo and things stopped working.

-Ross