[CentOS] Xen or VMWARE on CentOS 5

Wed Feb 27 17:35:19 UTC 2008
David Mackintosh <David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com>

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 08:03:09AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Ern jura wrote:
> >Does anyone out there have a comprehensive tutorial on installing VMware
> >and
> >successfully managing virtual machines with either xen or vmware?
>
> VMware is pretty simple: download the server rpm, install it, run the
> vmware-config.pl setup script to set the options and install your (free)
> license key.  Then run vmware locally or from some other machine to
> access the console where you can create and start the virtual machines.
>  Once created, you can treat the virtual machines like they were
> separate physical boxes except that they contend for host resources (and
> once they are up on the network I prefer to connect directly to them
> with ssh, X, freenx, or vnc instead of using the VMware console.  You'll
> want plenty of RAM on the host machine and if you run several VM's they
> will perform better if you can spread them over different disk drives.
>
> With VMware you can copy your disk images over to a Windows or Mac host
> and run them with no changes (Mac version isn't free, though).

This is pretty much what I do.  I also keep stock "reference" images
for each OS I support and copy from the reference image every time I
need to deploy a new VM.

I like the idea of Xen, but the documentation is a little thin
especially when it comes to installing useful things like Windows
VMs; I don't have the time to solve the problem properly, and I hope
that in a year or two I can change this.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh |