[CentOS] Re: NFSroot is acting strange in CentOS5

Wed Feb 27 23:23:59 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 2/27/2008 2:53 PM vincenzo romero spake the following:
> Thanks for your reply Scott.
>
>>  I haven't done this in a long time but do your workstation kernels have root
>>  nfs in them?
>>  config_root_nfs
>>  This could be obsolete these days.
>>

> Yes, at least with Centos5 and fedora6 (2.6.18 kernels are what I am
> testing with on both distros), i have configured the Root File System
> Support via the "make menuconfig" option.
>
> The following were the changes I made to the kernel:
>
> 1.  Networking-> Networking options
> *  IP Level autoconfiguration
> *  IP DHCP
> *  IP Bootp
> *  IP Rarp
> (enabled = *)
>
> 2.  Device Drivers-> Network device Support-> Ethernet 10/100Mbit ->
> nForce (my nVidia NIC)
>
> 3.  File Systems -> Network File Systems
> * NFS File System Support (changed from M to *)
> * Root FS on NFS
>
> .... I had to also disable on option:  "Provide NFS Client Caching
> Support" - the only reason is because, after I performed Steps 1-3 and
> attempt to recompile the kernel, I had some make compile error that
> pertained to FS cache;  in searching/googling it was recommended to
> disable this option.  Upon disabling, the compile completed without
> error.
>
> ... I have also just completed setting up a FEDORA 6 Root-NFS kernel
> and root directory - and upon booting, I still get the same problems
> as the prior mentioned CentOS5.  Both are of the 2.6.18 kernel base,
> and both give that same value:  "sec=null" ... when the root NFS is
> mounted.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Vince
I haven't done it since kernel 2.2 days so my knowledge is old and rusty, like me.

Have you looked on any of the distros set up for this like k12LTSP?
Maybe they have a more current set of docs.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and