[CentOS] how to uninstall

Thu Feb 28 13:45:41 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

Jim,

Try out 'alternatives' for managing symlinks to prefixed installs, especially if you have multiple versions. Works like a charm and can be used to fix/remove links later.

-Ross

----- Original Message -----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org <centos-bounces at centos.org>
Sent: Thu Feb 28 04:13:35 2008
Subject: Re: [CentOS] how to uninstall

> when i install a package without the rpm tool cause its not rpm
> package like configure , make , make install
>
> how can i uninstall it later ?

If possible, configure it using --prefix so that everything belonging to
it gets installed in the same place, which will make removing it easy. I
prefer to install into /usr/local/<application>/<version> so that I can
retain old versions while installing a new one. There will be some work
to do to make executables available in users' paths. I do it by
creating a symbolic link 'current' pointing to the current version, and
making links of the contents of current's bin (in terms of current so
that they don't change when I switch versions) in /usr/local/bin.

GNU Stow (http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/), not that I use it, has
formalised this approach:

        GNU Stow helps the sysadmin organise files under /usr/local/ by
        allowing each piece of software to be installed in its own tree
        under /usr/local/stow/, and then using symlinks to create the
        illusion that all the software is installed in the same place.

Jim