[CentOS] perl error on CentOS

Thu Feb 28 17:26:29 UTC 2008
Rogelio <scubacuda at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:19 AM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>
wrote:

> Rogelio wrote:
> > when i type 'perl perlscript.pl, I get the following error
> >
> > Can't locate version.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
>
> [root at shutdown result]# yum provides "version.pm"
> perl-version.x86_64                      0.74-1.el5.rf          rpmforge
> Matched from:
> /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/version.pm
>
> Looks like it is in rpmforge (see
> <http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories>).
>
> > What do I need to do to configure my perl environment?  I typed in CPAN
> and
> > "install Bundles::CPAN" and it seemed to install everything, but on line
> 29
> > of the perl script, it has a problem with the line
>
> Using CPAN isn't quite as good of an idea as it seems - it tends to a)
> install newer versions of perl and b) the packaging system has no idea
> about files installed via CPAN.
>
> The rpmforge repository (see above) has packaged quite a few perl
> modules, so I'd suggest to use that:
>
> [angenenr at shutdown ~]$yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=rpmforge list
> "perl*"|wc -l
> 2179

Wow, thank you very much Ralph!

I did a "yum provides" and installed perl-version. Once I did that, the
script worked beautifully.

I notice that a lot of my questions stem from a misunderstanding of how RPMs
work, as well as how YUM uses RPMs.  Can anyone provide me some useful
links?  I google for info, but just seem to get little bits of knowledge but
not enough to put it all together coherently.

Rogelio