[CentOS] Kernel-upgrade breaks forcedeth-driver (CentOS 4)

Fri Feb 29 15:59:04 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Simen Thoresen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Same system as my previous mail - Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboards, CentOS
> 4 x86_64.
>
> The kernel-supplied forcedeth driver works in kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.0.9.EL
> (both with and without acpi=off), but after upgrading to
> kernel-smp-2.6.9-67.0.4.EL, networking does not start. After trying
> dhcp, ifconfig reports 17 dropped TX packets (all other counters are
> empty). Ethtool reports the same settings for working and non-working
> kernel, and both report the link arbitrated to 1000Mbps. Setting a
> manual address does not do anything useful either.
>
> When booting with 55.0.9, networking works again.
>
> This has also been confirmed on another system - 2.6.9-55.0.12.EL works,
> and 2.6.9-67.EL fails (but this system is not available for
> troubleshooting right now).
>
> Also, the above system was attempted installed with CentOS 5 (.0 and
> later with 5.1), but this was aborted due to 'networking problems', so I
>  am thinking that the problem possibly persists at least as late as the
> CentOS 5.1 install-kernel.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?

One of these is probably your issue (from the RHEL-4 kernel changelog):

* Tue Oct 23 2007 Jason Baron <jbaron at redhat.com> [2.6.9-65]
-forcedeth: fix nic poll that causes panics on some hardware (Andy
Gospodarek) [337291]

<snip>

* Mon Jun 18 2007 Jason Baron <jbaron at redhat.com> [2.6.9-55.9]
-forcedeth: update to driver version 0.60 (Andy Gospodarek) [221910]

I would make SURE that I had the latest BIOS (firmware) update for the
motherboard as those routinely fix problems with built on NICs and built
on controllers.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes