[CentOS] Recommended software for mail greylist?

Fri Feb 29 16:17:41 UTC 2008

Dennis McLeod wrote:
> I belong to several lists regarding mail. That world is pretty darned
> complex and many times spread first between windows and 'nix servers and
> then divides out into the various 'nix flavors and the few winders options.

I know how that feels :D

> As a side, I could see blossoming a Wiki area specific to email which might
> eventually fill out to an extremely robust set of how to's for installations
> of what amounts to being some of the very hardest things that I've
> accomplished with CentOS. Yes SpamAssassin is a powerful tool, but for
> instance the default setup that comes out of the box is fairly weak. A trip
> to the SpamAssassin site will just leave you mostly confused and reading for
> hours only to find out that what you think is good might not be applicable
> to your system.

Given that, I think it might be a good idea to tackle some of this on
the wiki itself rather than needing a list for it. One thing that we are
working on at the moment is to try and get a commenting system working
on the wiki - so if drive-by users have comments / issues / feedback or
even a contribution of some sort in content - they can drop that in
there with a near zero barrier to entry. The Editorial Team on the wiki
can then evaluate that for inclusion in the main article or leave it as
a comment.

> I think a fair number of the members of this list and the users of CentOS
> are using it in a server environment and require email. And basically, if
> you require email that is not exclusively internal to a network, spam is a
> huge battle which requires constant time... and I mean hours and hours and
> hours and hours of time. I just spent about 4 days on this again this past
> week.

I am about to take the plunge into this area after about 2 years and
completely rework my own anti-spam system. Hope to take loads of notes
and get them onto the wiki.

> I would offer to do it here, but I fear I don't have enough bandwidth as I
> think a list like this would be a huge success, if people knew it existed.

We have plenty of resources within the CentOS setup. I dont see hosting
something of this nature being too hard. However, i think it might be
important to work out what we want to host. IMHO, email is too niche an
area to have a dedicated list for it. Something like NetworkServices
might be a better target.