[CentOS] CentOS 5 loses ip address (newbie question)

Sat Feb 2 00:20:38 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 13:20 -0800, MHR wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 6:08 AM, frankly3d-centos
> <frankly3d-centos at utvinternet.com> wrote:
> > Reserved ip in 192.168.x.x range for CenOS 5 (Samba Server)
> >
> > loses samba clients due to eth0 losing it's ip.
> >

> > eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:61:72:AB:98
> >           inet addr:169.254.66.122  Bcast:169.254.255.255
> > Mask:255.255.0.0
> >           inet6 addr: fe80::204:61ff:fe72:ab98/64 Scope:Link
> >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
> >           RX packets:60058 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
> ><snip>

> What is your system setup?  Is it a LAN on the inside of a router?  Do
> the systems exist inside and outside the router?

If you control the DHCP server, you should be able to set the reserved
range. Also, you should be able to extend the lease/renewal times to a
*very* long interval. If you don't ... I'm lucky, IPCop is my friend.

Regardless, if it's losing the IP and not getting re-assigned another
(or same) one, something else must be wrong somewhere.

Keeping in mind that I'm really ignorant about this stuff, if it were my
unit I would be looking to see if I had conflicting setups somewhere.
Like maybe booting into a static private IP address default
configuration and yet having a DHCP client active. I don't know if
that's possible or rational, but like I said, I don't know much.

Did you use system-config-network for initial setup? If so, I would
think subsequent diddling would be the screw-up. If not, initial
diddling probably the culprit.

> Need more information for this to be useful.

AMEN brother! (No religious injection intended here: simply an
exclamatory reaffirmation shamelessly stolen from revival meetings I've
seen on the boob-tube - as opposed to you-tube).

--
Bill