[CentOS] Xen or VMWARE on CentOS 5

Wed Feb 27 14:03:09 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Ern jura wrote:
> Does anyone out there have a comprehensive tutorial on installing VMware and
> successfully managing virtual machines with either xen or vmware?

VMware is pretty simple: download the server rpm, install it, run the
vmware-config.pl setup script to set the options and install your (free)
license key.  Then run vmware locally or from some other machine to
access the console where you can create and start the virtual machines.
  Once created, you can treat the virtual machines like they were
separate physical boxes except that they contend for host resources (and
once they are up on the network I prefer to connect directly to them
with ssh, X, freenx, or vnc instead of using the VMware console.  You'll
want plenty of RAM on the host machine and if you run several VM's they
will perform better if you can spread them over different disk drives.

With VMware you can copy your disk images over to a Windows or Mac host
and run them with no changes (Mac version isn't free, though).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com