[CentOS] Firewall frustration

Mark A. Lewis mark at siliconjunkie.net
Tue Jan 1 02:36:09 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Mark Weaver
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 8:09 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Firewall frustration

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:21:34 -0500
Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> William L. Maltby wrote:

> >> well first challenge is my unit's USB ethernet dongles. Centos uses

> >> the RTL 8150 driver for them. Smoothwall only lists the RTL 8129,
> >> 8139, and 8169...
> >>

> > I've used this at home for years. I don't know if it's suitable, but

> > it seems *very* flexible. Allows for NAT or not, has typical zones,
> > reporting, IPTables modification support, ...
> >
> >    http://www.ipcop.org/
> >
> > Has run/tested successfully on various configurations here. It's
> > another "ditch your CentOS" solution though. But you can put it on
> > any old junk laying around and it'ss probably work. Using cable
> > modem in the boonies, 486DX/66 gives about 450KB/sec, Pentium 200MHz

> > pci gives <= 700MB/sec - both from decent sites. Tested using both
> > ISA and PCI bus adapters through both twisted pair and thin coax.
> As I thought about things this morning, trying to put up smoothwall, I

> realized that one of my goals is to have a tool to turn a Centos
> system that I am using for foo, into a firewall for bar for a day.  I
> have Astaro for my serious firewall needs (see later post), but need
> something 'portable'.  You see I have these plans with some small itx
> systems....

have you considered linux that fits on a floppy disk?

http://mypage.uniserve.ca/~thelinuxguy/small_and_floppy_linux/

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/

http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distribut
ions/Tiny/Floppy_Sized/

get one running and configured and save to floppy... things go south
reboot the machine and everything is back. no hard drives to worry
about...

- --
Mark

"Drunkenness is not an excuse for stupidity. If you're stupid when
you're sober then that's one thing, but if you're sober when you're
stupid, then you're just plain stupid!"