[CentOS] Firewall frustration

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jan 1 16:44:32 UTC 2008

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>

>> Mark Weaver wrote:

>>> have you considered linux that fits on a floppy disk?
>>>
>>> http://mypage.uniserve.ca/~thelinuxguy/small_and_floppy_linux/
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/
>>>
>>> http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Distributions/Tiny/Floppy_Sized/
>>>

>>> get one running and configured and save to floppy... things go south
>>> reboot the machine and everything is back. no hard drives to worry
>>> about...
>>>
>> Have you ever thought about how rare floppy drives are now? At best
>> you go with a bootable usb, if your notebook supports bootable USB.
>> My Libretto does have a bootable floppy, but that is something extra
>> to carry. It will not boot from anything else (besides its HD). My
>> nc4010 (this notebook) will boot from usb. My corp notebook (nc2400)
>> is locked down; and I don't see any value at getting corp IT bent out
>> of shape.
>>

> Yes, floppy drives are rare - but they are still incredibly valuable.
> I've dealt with needing to install drivers from floppy for OSes, and
> the OSse are looking to floppy.
>
> I've needed DOS' fdisk to get me out of problems at times, and having
> a bootable copy of DOS on-hand has done the job.
>
> Some BIOS updates are only available from a bootable floppy (won't
> install to anything else).
>
> Saves times and frusteration in having a reusable floppy around than
> having to sometimes create a bootable CD to put the files on. Reuse
> the floppy as often as needed.
I have a USB floppy that came with my Toshiba 3490. It is a very
valuable part of my 'tool box'.
> Old hardware still exists and is usable, and sometimes only work, or
> work best, with floppies.
>
> Sometimes "old school" is still "good school".
Talk to me about 'old school'. I sat at my first Teletype in '66 as a
Junior in High School, learning Dartmouth Basic...

But I am looking at what I can easily travel with, and a floppy is NOT
part of a traveling collection. Enough gear to upset TSA as it is.

> We still often use "VT100" or "3270" emulation for remote
> connectivity... Think about their origins.
Check out who chaired the TN3270E workgroup ;) Want to discuss LU2
management layer?

Not really, some things are best left in the dust heap. Along with those
55 Baud Teletypes!