[CentOS] Re: Firewall frustration

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jan 1 17:00:42 UTC 2008

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Mark Weaver wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:57:22 -0500
>> Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>>> Have you ever thought about how rare floppy drives are now? At best
>>> you go with a bootable usb, if your notebook supports bootable USB.
>>> My Libretto does have a bootable floppy, but that is something extra
>>> to carry. It will not boot from anything else (besides its HD). My
>>> nc4010 (this notebook) will boot from usb. My corp notebook (nc2400)
>>> is locked down; and I don't see any value at getting corp IT bent out
>>> of shape.
>>
>> why would you even think about using a Notebook computer as a firewall?
>> I was assuming you were going to delegate this task to an older machine
>> with sufficient resources to handle the task and not give the task to a
>> notebook computer.
>
> I guess he wants it to be portable.
>
> He seems to be knowing his requirements a lot better than we do. It
> looks like he wants an easy firewall that would boot for HD only, cost
> nothing, and runs with usb ethernet devices.
>
> I really think he should carry an embedded firewall (like a soekris or
> a wrap) with pfsense on it.
I have enough gear to get through TSA. My next trip will have me
carrying 3 laptops (granted 2 are 12" and one 7") and one microITX box.
Plus a bunch of USB gizmos, my Bose 2 headphones, etc. And I do carryon,
so space is at a premium.

The boxes here in the lab are not portable, but the learning has to be.