[CentOS] [Fwd: Problems with two S3 video devices.]

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Jan 2 15:36:24 UTC 2008

> Hi, I'm having problems in an old PC with 2 S3 video devices.

(s3 Virge/DX and a s3 Trio 368)

This is from rusty memory, those cards are way over 10 years old, but
I'm recalling that there were HARDWARE design problems that prevented
two of those cards from coexisting in the same system, there were VGA
static resource mappings for memory and IO ports that couldn't be
completely disabled.

rather than waste hours on ancient junk that didn't work right when new,
get some cheap generic ATI cards, even old ATI Rage cards will work way
better than thoe S3 things ever did.  There's a very good reason S3 is
long out of business, they designed junk.