[CentOS] Java applets plugins for Mozilla Firefox

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Jan 3 09:32:14 UTC 2008

Andrew Allen wrote:
> I'm trying to view some websites which require Java applets to be
> installed in the web browser - how do I install these please as I
> haven't found a simple/obvious way to do it with yum?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Just for the record, sun has release parts of java via the GPL.  CentOS
does not distribute the older java versions because we can't with the
license requirements before the GPL'ed versions.

Fedora has done a new GPL'ed java called Iced Tea:

http://icedtea.classpath.org/

We have Iced Tea in our testing repository (CentOS-5 only):

http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

How you would install the Iced Tea plugin from our testing repo (this is
available for CentOS-5 only) is to put this file in your
"/etc/yum.repos.d/" directory:

http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/CentOS-Testing.repo

Then issue this command to install the Icea Tea java plugin:

yum --enablerepo c5-testing install java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin

Sun Java is probably still the most compatible install, though the Iced
Tea version in our testing repo does pass this test after install:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes