[CentOS] Re: How to size an email server to handle 5 million emails per day

Joshua Gimer jgimer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:40:56 UTC 2008

I can only talk from experience; we are currently doing spam and anti-
virus checks in our inbound flow of around 600,000 messages per day.
To do this we have three inbound SMTP gateways running Sophos
Puremessage with Sendmail as the MTA.. These systems are quad proc
systems with 6 to 8 GB of ram. This is still not enough to handle the
inbound flow efficiently at our organization.

We are currently looking into Ironport, which should be able to handle
our entire inbound and outbound flow on one system. They say that they
have the ability to drop around 98% of traffic that is coming in using
reputation filtering, anti-spam checks and anti-virus checks. We have
been demoing the device for a couple of months and I am really happy
with it, it has been doing what was promised.

Josh G.