[CentOS] What's up with the mailing list spam?

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Fri Jan 4 18:18:12 UTC 2008

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 03:22:35PM +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>
>> Matt Shields wrote:
>>
>>> Just this morning I've gotten 3 or 4 pieces of spam on the CentOS mailing list.
>>>
>> Tell us how we should reject that in advance and we will. Yes, the
>> "user" was subscribed.
>>

> Clearly you should assign an infinite number of monkeys to the problem!

How about a person named Ray instead? Or maybe Matt? This would be
infinitely more easy than feeding those monkeys.
> Is kinda weird though; I've also seen posts from what I assume to be
> the same spam source (and around the exact same time) on the
> dell linux-poweredge list.

I guess the big advantage to them on list is the archive now contains
their post and if there was a URL, a link from the CentOS archive,
pretty well positioned by Google and the likes, now points to their site
possibly moving them up on the search engines. It's actually a pretty
good tactic.

Is nothing safe?

John Hinton