[CentOS] What's up with the mailing list spam?

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Fri Jan 4 20:03:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>Matt Shields wrote:
>> Just this morning I've gotten 3 or 4 pieces of spam on the CentOS mailing list.
>
>Tell us how we should reject that in advance and we will. Yes, the
>"user" was subscribed.

We have Mailman configured to check with spamassassin, sending messages
with sufficiently high scores to the moderator(s) for approval and
automatically discarding anything with a score > 20.  Thus anything with
scores between our required_score of 5 and 20 is held for moderation.

While this isn't perfect, fewer than 1 spam per month has made it through
to any of the lists we host in the last year (at least one of which I
approved accidentally :-).

The only moderated list we host is one for monthly announcements where only
the list owner is allowed to post.  All the others are members-only.

Bill

More laws, less justice.  -- Marcus Tulius Ciceroca (42 BD)