[CentOS] mounting & partitioning Seagate FreeAgent external HD

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Sat Jan 5 20:07:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 at 11:20am, MHR wrote

> On Jan 3, 2008 9:34 AM, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu> wrote:
>>
>> The drive is formatted NTFS, which is pretty much useless under Linux.
>
> Forgive me, but this is simply not true.  There is a fully functional NTFS
> module available for read-write support in CentOS 5 (if you build your own
> kernel), and I haven't actually looked at the CentOSplus kernel yet.

Erm, from the kernel documentation -- "The driver currently supports
read-only mode (with no fault-tolerance, encryption or journalling) and
very limited, but safe, write support" and "The biggest limitation at
present is that files/directories cannot be created or deleted."  Also,
AIUI, permissions are nowhere near the *nix way.

It may not be completely useless overall, but it is certainly useless ot
the OP.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin