[CentOS] Wondering about CentOS 5.1 functionality

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sat Jan 5 23:23:49 UTC 2008

Anup Shukla wrote:
> Mark Weaver wrote:
>>
>> Actually Fedora 7 ran it wonderfully. I used ndiswrapper and a script to
>> initialize the adapter during the boot process.
>>
>> I'm running OpenSUSE 10.3 on this laptop right now and there is plenty
>> to like about it, however I'm a RedHat man at heart and there are things
>> that I'm used to on my RedHat systems that I don't want to give up. I'd
>> like to get back to a RedHat based distro for this machine if I can.
>>

> Not sure if its relevant.
> I tried Ubuntu (7 something) with ndiswrapper and it worked beautifully.
> Tried the firmware (using bcm43xx-fwcutter) and it worked too, however
> the card would take longer to connect to a network.
>
> Dont know why that happened.. i simply reverted back to ndiswrapper.
>
> As for Centos, i have never installed it on my laptop,
> but only on our servers.

Just finished up with most of the setup a little while ago. Using both
bcm43xx-fwcutter and ndiswrapper to enable and get the wireless lan
adapter going.

The most likely reason you experienced weirdness with the firmware was
something I've been noticing; when it attempts to load the firmware
there's something in the kernel that doesn't like it and it fails to
load the firmware.

So far I'm very impressed with CentOS 5.1 performance on this laptop.

Mark