[CentOS] Live CD Planning systems

Jason Clark jason at jasonandjessi.com
Sun Jan 6 03:45:55 UTC 2008

Not to pitch another distro, but knoppix and dsl do pretty much what are
looking for ,minus the xen.  What I would propose though is to run vmware
P2V (now called converter) on your XP machine. It will export a vmware image
of that drive, then just format that sucker, install centos and vmware and
run your corp image inside of that. It's what I do at work and it has always
worked splendidly.

On 1/5/08, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> My company supplies me with a very nice HP nc2400.  Much faster, more
> memory, etc than my old HP nc4010.
>
> Problem is the drive is not swappable, and they encrypt the drive (the
> OS is XP).
>
> The nc2400 has a DVD/CDRW and 2 USB 2.0 ports so I was thinking.....
>
> Make a Live DVD with everything I need but map
>
> /etc /root /home and /var/log (and what else?) to a USB flash drive
> (16Gb are available and I was just sent a PR on a 32Gb, maybe I can get
> an eval device :) ).
>
> So first I would want a bootable DVD that would have everything I want
> to have running on the cd2400.  And of course, everytime one of the
> components get updated, I will have to build a new DVD.
>
> Then I would like to run within XEN my company's XP image on that
> encrypted drive.  Is this possible.  If I could do this, I can move the
> nc2400 as my 'workhorse', downgrade my nc4010 to my test box, and
> reallocate the Toshiba 3490 to the family....  And more importantly one
> less box to carry when traveling!
>
> I guess one thing in this whole equation will I be able to repartition
> the USB flash drive with a swap partition (will probably never use, as
> there is 1.5Gb memory in the nc2400. Twice as much as the nc4010), and
> an ext3 data partition?  Or should I use LVM on it?

Jason
Luck favors the prepared.