[CentOS] /etc/passwd aand /etc/shadow out of sync on 4.6 box

Joe Klemmer

klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Jan 6 07:43:47 UTC 2008

Fellow list members,

	I recently tried to add a user to a little used server that hadn't see
a change in users for quite a while.  When I use system-config-users I
get an error alert that says -

	The user database cannot be read.  This problem
	is most likely caused by a mismatch in /etc/passwd
	and /etc/shadow.  The program will exit now.

I awk'ed out the user ID's and ran diff.  That came back with the shadow
file having two more users than the passwd file.  Ok, fine, whatever.
But the trick now is how to fix this.  Can I just use vi and delete the
offending lines from the shadow file?  Is there a utility or script that
will sync them in a less potentially destructive way?

	Any pointers to info on this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe