[CentOS] Live CD Planning systems

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Jan 6 08:35:13 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> My company supplies me with a very nice HP nc2400. Much faster, more
>> memory, etc than my old HP nc4010.
>>
>> Problem is the drive is not swappable, and they encrypt the drive
>> (the OS is XP).
>>
>> The nc2400 has a DVD/CDRW and 2 USB 2.0 ports so I was thinking.....
>>
>> Make a Live DVD with everything I need but map
>>
>> /etc /root /home and /var/log (and what else?) to a USB flash drive
>> (16Gb are available and I was just sent a PR on a 32Gb, maybe I can
>> get an eval device :) ).
>
> If you can boot from USB, why not get one of the laptop-drive based
> external units that are available up to 250 gigs now and do a full
> install on it?
Duh......

I would have to get one that can be powered from that one USB port
(fairly rare, the few that I have require external power or the power
from a 2nd USB port). I would also have to be able to strap it to the
bottom of the unit for easy management on a plane.

Though if I can get that 32Gb USB flash drive that might almost be
enough....

And too bad not a larger Compact Flash MicroDrive. Hey, wait. I run my
Libretto's DSL off of one.... I can put one in a PCMCIA holder and map
the swap drive to it and.... Now I am cooking. Maybe.

But still down to can XEN run the content of the encrypted drive. How do
I find out?