[CentOS] Re: How do I blank or overwrite DVD-RW disks in CentOS 5?

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Jan 7 05:52:21 UTC 2008

Barry Brimer wrote:
>> I'm trying to use DVD-RW ("minus RW") disks in my LG GSA-4040B
>> drive.  I can write a new disk just fine, but can't find any way to
>> blank or re-use a disk.  When I run xcdroast and click on the "Blank
>> CD/DVD+-RW" button, I get "Error while blanking."  Here is last part
>> of the dialog:
>>
>>    Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd)
>>    Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
>>    Supported modes: PACKET SAO
>>    Drive buf size : 1245184 = 1216 KB
>>    Drive DMA Speed: 11772 kB/s 66x CD 8x DVD
>>    cdrecord.prodvd: Success. set streaming: scsi sendcmd: no error
>>    CDB:  B6 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1C 00
>>    status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
>>    Sense Bytes: F0 00 05 00 00 00 00 10 B6 00 00 0D 21 00 00 00
>>    Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segmant 0
>>    Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x00 (logical block address out of range) Fru
>> 0x0
>>    Sense flags: Blk 0 (valid)
>>    cmd finished after 0.004 s timeout 40s
>>    Current Secsize: 2048
>>    cdrecord.prodvd: Cannot set speed/dummy.
>>    ATIP start of lead in:  -150 (00:00/00)
>>
>> I've had similar lack of success trying to blank or overwrite using
>> cdrecord or growisofs.  The disks I'm using are Sony 2X DVD-RW 4.7GB,
>> which _should_ be compatible with the drive AFAICT.  The drive is
>> happy to write to a new disk.
>
> One possibility is:
>
> $ cdrecord blank=help
> Blanking options:
>         all             blank the entire disk
>         disc            blank the entire disk
>         disk            blank the entire disk
>         fast            minimally blank the entire disk (PMA, TOC, pregap)
>         minimal         minimally blank the entire disk (PMA, TOC, pregap)
>         track           blank a track
>         unreserve       unreserve a track
>         trtail          blank a track tail
>         unclose         unclose last session
>         session         blank last session
>
> According to man cdrecord:
>
> -format
>         Format a CD-RW/DVD-RW/DVD+RW disc.  Formatting is currently only
> implemented for DVD+RW media.  A maiden DVD+RW media needs to be
> formatted before you may write to it.  However, as cdrecord autodetects
> the need for formatting in this case and auto formats the medium before
> it starts writing, the -format option is only needed if you like to
> forcibly reformat a DVD+RW medium.

Thanks.  I'd seen that.  I did eventually find the magic incantation:

    cdrecord dev=/dev/dvd -v -force blank=fast

The "-force" is the key to getting past whatever it is that my drive
was complaining about.  I'm pretty sure I had tried that before and
had it not work, but perhaps the drive had been left in some strange
state by whatever my previous attempt had been.

                 Do NOT delete it.