[CentOS] Live CD Planning systems

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Sun Jan 6 20:44:27 UTC 2008

On Sunday 06 January 2008 08:35:13 Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >> My company supplies me with a very nice HP nc2400. Much faster, more
> >> memory, etc than my old HP nc4010.
> >>
> >> Problem is the drive is not swappable, and they encrypt the drive
> >> (the OS is XP).
> >>
> >> The nc2400 has a DVD/CDRW and 2 USB 2.0 ports so I was thinking.....
> >>
> >> Make a Live DVD with everything I need but map
> >>
> >> /etc /root /home and /var/log (and what else?) to a USB flash drive
> >> (16Gb are available and I was just sent a PR on a 32Gb, maybe I can
> >> get an eval device :) ).
> >
> > If you can boot from USB, why not get one of the laptop-drive based
> > external units that are available up to 250 gigs now and do a full
> > install on it?
>
> Duh......
>
> I would have to get one that can be powered from that one USB port
> (fairly rare, the few that I have require external power or the power
> from a 2nd USB port). I would also have to be able to strap it to the
> bottom of the unit for easy management on a plane.
>
> Though if I can get that 32Gb USB flash drive that might almost be
> enough....
>
> And too bad not a larger Compact Flash MicroDrive. Hey, wait. I run my
> Libretto's DSL off of one.... I can put one in a PCMCIA holder and map
> the swap drive to it and.... Now I am cooking. Maybe.
>
> But still down to can XEN run the content of the encrypted drive. How do
> I find out?

I have a external USB HD enclosure that takes its power from the one USB
socket. Its only failed to do so on one oldish tower that a friend of mine
has, on that machine it needed the second "power" connection. Got it from
Ebay.
You might find that mounting /swap on a solid state device brings about its
early demise. They can't be written to indefinitely.
Looking at my two external HD enclosures the one in question has an IDE hard
drive in it and the other which quite often need a double connection, (though
not when connected to this note book HP 510), has the original SATA hard
drive that was in this note book when I first purchased it.
Note book runs Mandriva 2008.   (puts tin helmet on !)
--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)