[CentOS] Probably OT: Has anyone else seen SeaMonkey 'pop' without warning?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jan 9 00:51:01 UTC 2008

MHR wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2008 9:58 AM, Ben Mohilef <benm at dsl-only.net> wrote:
>>> Shortyl after installing 1.1.7 on my 5.0 (and even since 5.1), I
>>> noticed that every so often,
>>> seemingly at random, although it appears most frequently when I
>>> click on something that wants
>> I have also experienced this problem and characterized it briefly by
>> unscientific trial and error (FWIW). I found that whenever it dies it is
> trying
>> to open a new window per javascript ALERT or CONFIRM directives. This
>> happens intermittently and NONrepeatably on both 32 and 64 bit flavours of
>> 5.1 and no other js commands seem to be related (including whether a
>> flash file is or is not being displayed). This started late last year. It
> was not
>> so much of a nusiance that I bothered to see what updates coincided with
> it
>> then and I would just be guessing if I looked back now.
>>
>> The problem seems to lie in the code by which FF/SM open windows in
>> those two javascript commands.  I run Adblock, noscript, NViIDIA's
>> proprietary drivers, kde and permissive selinux.  Nothing of interest
> appears
>> in /var/log/<anything> or dmesg coincident with the failure.
>>
> Interesting - that might explain it, but only if SM uses JS to create its
> local Save To File or other input windows, which I couldn't say (never
> looked at the source).
>
> I'll keep that in mind.

Also, it has been my experience that a messed up profile (especially
after an upgrade) can cause problems.

You can test this by moving the ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla_bak and see if
still have issues.  This will remove all your bookmarks, etc ... but you
can move them back later on if this does not increase stability by
moving .mozilla_bak back to .mozilla.