[CentOS] CentOS and GCC Question

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jan 9 01:09:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:00:13PM +1300, Clint Dilks alleged:
> Hi People
>
> I am trying to build a piece of software from source in this case aide
> 0.13.1 using this config line ./configure --with-zlib --with-selinux.
> The configure step completes but there is a Warning that concerns me.
> This is taken from config.log
>
> configure:9809: checking for mhash_get_block_size in -lmhash
> configure:9844: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -static  -static  conftest.c
> -lmhash  -lz  >&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmhash
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The '-static' means that the linker needs to find a static library archive to
create a static executable.  That means it wants to find /usr/lib/libmhash.a.
Without the '-static', it would look for the shared library, libmhash.so.

The mhash-devel package doesn't contain libmhash.a, so your test linking fails.

It has been fedora/upstream policy for while to discourage the packaging of
static archive files.  I'm sure the Fedora wiki has a page explaining why, but
I'm too lazy to find it right now.