[CentOS] Making a NAS/HFS server

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Jan 9 20:59:14 UTC 2008

Steve Campbell wrote:
> I ran into a problem that I couldn't resolve straight away, but would
> like to solve for sometime in the future.
>
> We have a Thecus storage server (similar to a Buffalo TeraByte, if
> that helps?) that has a Mac filesystem on it. The mother board was
> failing, but the drives are still OK. A new box has been added, so the
> urgency is sort of gone. I was going to try and back up the data to a
> new CentOS 5.1 box I had until the new Thecus arrived, but ran into
> the problem of Mac resource forks not being copied when I mounted the
> Thecus as a CIFS system.

Offhand, I'd try NFS rather than CIFS.    Wild guess says the NAS box
stores the Macintosh 'resource forks' in alternate files, using some
funky naming convention, and likely masks this from "windows" systems
connecting via SMB/CIFS.    its extremely unlikely its using HFS as the
internal storage, much more likely its e3fs or similar.    If you pulled
the drives from the NAS box and direct connected them to a linux box,
you could probably figure out what they were doing by poking around,
assuming you could hook up to the raid structure (some of those boxes
use proprietary raid extensions, like ReadyNAS with its 'raid-x'
expandable/restripable raid.