[CentOS] Making a NAS/HFS server

Johnny Tan linuxweb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 22:29:14 UTC 2008

Steve Campbell wrote:
> I don't understand, though, how it could have been populated with Mac
> stuff unless it either had a Mac fs or something or the sorts. A Mac
> wrote the data, but I'm not sure what type of format the system had. I
> really don't have a clue about this or how to fix up the NAS if we ever
> get that far.

Having almost bought one of their products (ended up going
with QNap instead), I'm almost certain from my research at
the time that the Thecus NAS appliances run a linux-based OS
and most likely use ext3 filesystem (as a previous poster
mentioned).

When shared over the network (NFS, CIFS, etc.), the
filesystem on the NAS or server doesn't actually matter.
Macs can still mount the network share and read/write to it.
It doesn't have to be HFS for this to happen.

In terms of the resource forks, I'd be surprised if this is
even an issue. Can you clarify what problems/issues/symptoms
you are seeing that makes you believe you need to "copy" the
resource forks?

What kind of files are these? If they are regular documents
(Office, Adobe, images, videos, etc.), you should have no
problems just copying the files from the mounted drive to
somewhere else (another Mac, a Windows box, or a Linux box).

If they are applications or some other binaries, there
*might* be issues, but even then, I'm not convinced.

p.s. Unless you are still using pre-OS X Macs, in which
case, all bets are off...

johnn