[CentOS] Slightly OT: Dual-booting two Linux dists

Tru Huynh tru at centos.org
Wed Jan 9 23:26:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 03:03:39PM -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 2:49 PM, James A. Peltier <jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Why dual boot at all?  Why not just run a Xen instance?
>
> I knew someone was going to ask that ...
>
> I'm only planning to dual-boot while I determine which operating
> system to leave on the machine permanently.  I don't want Xen masking
> interactions with the hardware in a way that might give different
> results from the actual behavior of each OS on the raw machine.

I am multibooting my laptop with the following setup:

* I keep a standalone small /boot (primary partition) with grub
which is booted by the MBR.
* one primary goes for NetBSD
* one primary goes for XP
* all the other linux distributions (FC8/C5) are on their own logical partition
  (one single 8GB slice for / including the distribution's own /boot and /home)
  the distribution bootloader goes to the logical partition.
* a swap partion and a "/shared" ext3 partition
  are shared for all the linux distribution

Cheers,

Tru