[CentOS] VDQ : Triple Boot Advice?

Dennis McLeod dmcleod at foranyauto.com
Thu Jan 10 18:54:24 UTC 2008

Every time I dual boot a single hard drive, I always regret it. Either one
of the install is messed up, and reinstalling one runs the risk of harming
the others. I have managed to collect a few 20-40G drives over the years, so
I always do stand-alone installs, (remove all other drives during the
install), and then use the bios to pick which hard drive I want to start
from.
Another option is, lately, I've been using VirtualBox to run XP inside
Linux, and Linux inside XP. That way I don't have to reboot, and can use
"both" OS's at once. I'm using fairly old hardware, and am happy with the
performance for lots of uses. (No games, though)
Either way is a lot less irritation, and, should the second or third install
mess something up, I don't run the risk of breaking the other
installations....

Also, I usually do my installs on a 10g "base drive", get it all where I
want it, and then use the gparted/clonezilla boot CD to take an image of it,
(I dump it up to my samba server, but you can do it to another drive - even
USB), switch out to the drive I want it on, dump the image back down and use
gparted to fill up the drive. (if you build it on an 80g, you can't easily
dump the image down on a 40...) One advantage is that I have a base Centos5
build that I ran all the updates on, and took an image. If I need to start
over, I just restore the image, and I'm back at the base image. Don't have
to go through the whole install again (just a yum update). I did this when I
was trying out Amanda/Bacula for backups (I used bacula), KnowledgeTree and
Maarch for Document Archiving (no decision yet), I just dumped my image down
on the machine and started over.
I'm going to do it for Zimbra here in a few days, cause I keep hearing all
the talk, and want to see what I can use it for.

I know I didn't answer your question, 'cause I really don't try to do it
that way. But I thought you might I'd share with you what I do, as I thought
it might be pertinent.

Dennis