[CentOS] Re: NFS problems with CentOS 4.5

Mark Belanger mark_belanger at ltx.com
Thu Jan 10 19:57:25 UTC 2008

Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Mark Belanger wrote:
>
>> This really seems like a client side issue.  The targeted NFS dirs
>> range from CentOS 3.x hosts to NetApp filers.  All exhibit the same
>> problem and all work fine when our builds are run on CentOS3.x or
>> Solaris
>
> I have also regularly seen this issue and agree that it appears to be
> client-side. It has occurred for every version of Linux NFS server that
> I have used, from RH 5.0 up to CentOS 5.1. I also do not see it for any
> non-Linux client (Tru64, OS X, Solaris). I also have not seen it for
> CentOS 3/4/5 64-bit clients, but I do see it for CentOS 3 32-bit clients.

I have no problems on 3.x - and we use NFS on a massive scale.  We did have
to set some mount options to get solid performance.

By comparing /proc/mounts I saw that my CentOS 4.5 machine was using tcp and
proto=tcp in it's mount options - whereas the CentOS 3.5 machines are using
udp,proto=udp.  I have made that change and it "seems" to have solved the problem.
I'll report back later if this continues.

In the meantime, I welcome any thoughts on Linux NFS and offer my current
mount options for CentOS 3.5:
-rw,bg,nosuid,timeo=50,retry=1
the output of /proc/mounts for a typical nfs volume is:
rw,v3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,udp,lock

On CentOS 4 - this seems to work:
-rw,bg,nosuid,timeo=50,retry=1,udp,proto=udp
the output of /proc/mounts for a typical nfs volume is:
nfs rw,nosuid,v3,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,udp,lock,proto=udp,timeo=50,retrans=5

-Mark

--
Mark Belanger
LTX Corporation