[CentOS] Automount of USB drives

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 19:14:10 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 9:03 AM,  <centos at 911networks.com> wrote:
> Now when I connect any USB drive [hard drives & USB sticks], they
> show up in dmesg, and they are being properly recognized, but I
> have to mount them by hand.

I've had this happen (without the power failure part) on CentOS 4, and
found it to be a problem with the HAL daemon and/or
gnome-volume-manager.  Did HAL start up properly when the system
restarted?  Do you have a gnome-volume-manager process running?

As a partly-related aside, can anyone explain why the "usermount"
program has disappeared from the standard Gnome menus in CentOS 5?  In
3 and 4 it appeared under System Tools -> Disk Management.  I presume
it's an upstream thing, but a few googlings have not found anything
about the motivation for the change.