[CentOS] Howto for LDAP authentication with replication

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 23:00:04 UTC 2008

Thanks for your patience, Craig.   So I took your advice and started
with a fresh install of CentOS 5, and followed the instructions in the
documentation exactly as they are written.  I got this far:

[root at server migration]# ./migrate_all_online.sh
Enter the X.500 naming context you wish to import into: [dc=domain,dc=com]
Enter the hostname of your LDAP server [ldap]: server.domain.com
Enter the manager DN: [cn=manager,dc=domain,dc=com]:
Enter the credentials to bind with:
Do you wish to generate a DUAConfigProfile [yes|no]? no

Importing into dc=domain,dc=com...

Creating naming context entries...
Migrating groups...
Migrating hosts...
Migrating networks...
Migrating users...
Migrating protocols...
Migrating rpcs...
Migrating services...
Migrating netgroups...
Migrating netgroups (by user)...
Migrating netgroups (by host)...
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)
Importing into LDAP...
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)
/usr/bin/ldapadd: returned non-zero exit status: saving failed LDIF to
/tmp/nis.ldif.Hh9210

I will go and read all of the links you sent me, but it's very
frustrating to follow even a simple tutorial for the OS and have it
not work.  Because I have little experience with LDAP I don't know
whether it's a problem with the documentation, or human error.