[CentOS] Re: What is connect-debounce wrt usb?

Carol Anne Ogdin caogdin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 01:43:17 UTC 2008

Technically, it means "your connection is not reliable."  De-bouncing is a
trick in reading keyboards that takes the first few microseconds of "key
down" connection and ignores them, because contacts may "bounce" on and off
when the key is travelling under finger pressure.  That prevents the sudden
shift on-off-on-off-on-off that may occur when the two contacts are nearly
in full contact...but not quite yet, from being perceived as multiple
keystrokes.

When you plug in a USB device, the drivers similarly do some filtering
(ideally in hardware, but potentially in software) to make sure the USB
contacts are all firmly made before accepting any input or trusting the
connection for output.  If you have a faulty connector (on either side), you
may find that the "bouncing" is so pronounced that the incoming queue of
signals is filled up...which might account for it "settling down" after 45
seconds or so.

1.  Make sure the USB connections (both ends, and both sides of each
connection) are tight an firm.
2.  Try a different USB cable between the equipment and your computer.
3.  Try connecting a different device, and see if the problem lies in your
USB external device.
4.  Confirm the device/cable combination work with another computer without
same kind of problem (to rule out those external components).

If all this doesn't solve the problem, then you may have an inappropriate
Bluetooth driver and/or need to configure some "bounce" parameters.

The only real way to see the "bounce" is with a storage oscilloscope, which
is triggered on the first "contact" and stores for a second or so.  Then you
can actually "see" the waveshape of the "bouncing" and that can help you
isolate its' cause.

--Carol Anne