[CentOS] Re: PHP 5.2.5 when ?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Jan 16 01:02:47 UTC 2008

Scott Silva wrote:

> I can't understand why people choose an enterprise distro for it's
> longevity,
> and then proceed to try and break it. It is almost like buying a brand
> new car
> and then immediately replacing the engine.
php is not a major component of RHEL/CentOS.
Upgrading PHP is not going to break the system. Worst case scenario it
does not work as well, in which case it is trivial to remove it and
install the vendor version.

Now if he had been asking for the new version of gnome or something like
that, then your analogy would be correct.

There are legitimate reasons to run CentOS 5 and update the installed php.
Most users are probably better off with the CentOS provided version, but
not everyone fits the description of most users.

I do what I do because it makes life easier for me. Normally life is
easier for me when I do not replace the OS Vendor packages. Sometimes,
however, a few things are easier when I do. php 5.2.5 is an example for
me. I do not know if it is the case for the OP or not, maybe he would be
better with 5.1.x - but if he needs 5.2.x there's a damn good chance
installing CentOS and replacing the php will give him a far more stable
system then installing Fedora 8 would.