[CentOS] OT: Dell BIOS and mixed drives

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:20:13 UTC 2008

Barry Schiffman wrote:

> I believe that's the case. In fact, there have been
> four updates since the version that's on the box now.
> They address a bunch of issues, but nothing quite like
> this. Either, I'll hunt up another SATA drive
> (presumably Dell sold these with with two drives) or
> I'll do the update in the next week or so.
>
> The options in this BIOS is limited. AUTO or OFF. When
> it's off, it's invisible from there on.

I don't have that specific model, but I've seen bios versions that just
list 'hard drive' as one of the choices where you are setting boot order
but there is another place where you pick which of several hard drives
should be primary.  But rather than fight with that part, I usually
install grub and /boot on whichever drive the box prefers to boot and /
can be somewhere else - even a drive not seen by bios.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com