[CentOS] Desktop freeze... now what?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Fri Jan 18 05:56:20 UTC 2008

Olaf Mueller a écrit :

> Last time I saw something similar was when my harddisk get broken. Are
> there any opcode entries in /var/log/messages or /var/log/dmesg?

Something crosses my mind: could it be related to a faulty video card? I
vaguely (very vaguely) remember having had similar troubles with an old
NVidia card a few years ago, and this is an old NVidia card.

I also remember something strange happening. Normally when I install a
desktop, I begin with a minimal bootable system (everything unchecked in
the installer). Then I 'yum groupinstall "X Window System"' and go on
configuring X. Only when TWM is working OK, I install some desktop
environment (GNOME, KDE, XFCE) and the apps on top.

After I had installed the driver and fired up TWM, I wanted to test 3D
abilities, so I typed 'glxgears' in TWM's xterm, but I got an error
message about some missing GLX extension. I didn't investigate this
further, since it's an install for an office user, and I thought, let's
install and configure all needed apps, and we'll see for Compiz later
(even the most serious SOHO users love Compiz) :oD

Niki