[CentOS] mount -t devfs

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Jan 18 15:05:44 UTC 2008

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Everything under "Security Policy". The need for a davfs2 system user
> and system group are explained there.
>
> And yes, the package is broken, because it should add the user.
OK.  I figured out I needed the user and group davfs2.  I created them
using the Gnome tools.

Then I try:

mount -t davfs  http://dav.mentor.ieee.org:80/ /mnt/ieee

And get:

Please enter the username to authenticate with server
http://dav.mentor.ieee.org:80/ or hit enter for none.
Username:

Now I can access this URI no problem with cadaver, I just enter open
http://dav.mentor.ieee.org:80/ and I am in.  So I just hit enter and get:

/sbin/mount.davfs: mounting failed; the server does not support WebDAV

Obviously  cadaver works.  If it preserved file dates and supplied a
sync/mirror function, I would not be playing with mount.davfs.

Any additional ideas?