[CentOS] Scalix Doesn't recommend Centos... Use Zimbra instead ; -)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sun Jan 20 02:45:01 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008, redhat at mckerrs.net wrote:
> Notice the '*' next to centos 4 and 5 and then the footnote ? Obviously
> they are sadly mistaken, 'cause as we all know they are almost identical to
> the Redhat EL 4 and 5 and therefore have almost identical frequency of
> updates.

They already know; read the forum thread
http://www.scalix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9394&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=centos&start=15

In particular, on page 2 of that thread, the Scalix guy Florian says
this: "We've started community/evaluation support for CentOS4/5 for 11.3, so
that those Fedora users don't have to complain about having to upgrade their
operating system with every Scalix upgrade. We'll fully support this for
commercial use in the next version. "

In other words, as of Scalix 11.4, the next version, CentOS 4 and 5 will be
fully supported in production, and 11.3 is supported for eval/community now
(no more tweak needed to get it to install).

For 'supported' in this context, this means that Scalix will provide real
commercial support if you use CentOS 4 or 5; you have, with a little tweak,
been able to use Scalix on CentOS 4 and 5 for a long time; I've been using
Scalix on CentOS 4 for quite a while now.  It's just not 'officially
supported' for production by scalix.
--
Lamar Owen
www.pari.edu