[CentOS] Definitive HowTo for CENTOS 5 Winbind - Samba - Active Directory Integration

Christopher Butler

cbutler at optonline.net
Mon Jan 21 21:42:51 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have been out of the linux / unix loop for a good three years now, and a
lot has changed..

I have a windows 2003 server on my home office lan as my domain controller.

I would like to know if there is a good how-to that applies to Centos5 to
achieve the following:

Joining the centos machine to the AD domain (I believe I have done this
already)

Sharing files from it using the AD user object credentials (don't know how
to do this yet, using system-config-samba-1.2.39, it does not show the
domain users yet)

Allowing login to centos using ssh or NX client (got the NX client working
for root user and a local tesuser) using the <DOMAIN>\<windowsusername>
credentials

Correct configuration of the pam related files etc so that centos
automatically creates and populates a user home directory for any first time
logins

I found the following article:

http://www.nixadmins.net/modules.php?page=0%2C0
<http://www.nixadmins.net/modules.php?page=0%2C0&name=News&file=article&sid=
14> &name=News&file=article&sid=14

But I am a bit wary of editing files that I don't fully understand yet.

I installed CENTOS5 with just about every option enabled, all the services,
so they should all be there already, I just need to configure them without
breaking anything.

Christopher J Butler

CJB Technology Consulting

cbutler at optonline.net