[CentOS] How to delete files with specical characters in the name?

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Tue Jan 22 16:50:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Eric B. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got an odd situation here.  Somehow, I find myself with two files that
> start with the - character.
> [eric at apollo mysql]$ ls -l
> total 93348
> -rw-r--r--  1 mysql mysql  9273344 Nov 13 19:03 -N=2007-11-08
> -rw-r--r--  1 mysql mysql 38879232 Nov 13 19:02 --newer=2007-11-08
>

> Don't ask how they were created; something went wrong with a script at some
> point.
>
> My problem is that I am trying to delete them, but can't figure out how to
> delete these files.  Everything I try, I get the same msg:
> [eric at apollo mysql]$ rm '-N=2007-11-08'
> rm: invalid option -- N
> Try `rm --help' for more information.
>

> I have tried single quotes, double quotes, escaping it with a \ and still
> get the same error.
>
> Any ideas / suggestions?

rm ./-N=2007-11-08 ./--newer=2007-11-08

--
Benjamin Franz

  I don't think it's a good idea to follow the catalog's suggestion to force
  the "Double Helix" on your biologist friends, or the "Wavelength" on your
  physicist friends. They have access to virulent pathogens and liquid
  nitrogen, and I just know it will end in tears before bedtime.
                             - Verzoeking, LiveJournal Entry, 22 Nov 2005