[CentOS] Re: Worth upgrading desktop to 5.1?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jan 23 18:09:03 UTC 2008

on 1/23/2008 9:05 AM Sean Carolan spake the following:
> I am using CentOS 5.0 on my desktop workstation.  Are there any deeply
> compelling reasons to upgrade to version 5.1?  I read through the
> release notes but didn't see any whiz-bang new features.  Perhaps some
> of you can share your personal experience letting us know if you have
> noticed any differences, etc.
5.0 and 5.1 are not different versions. 5.1 is just 5.0 with the latest
security patches.
Thinking that 5.0 and 5.1 are different is like thinking Windows XP wit
service pack 2 is a different OS than Windows XP with service pack 1.

So, yes there are deeply compelling reasons to upgrade. If you want to have
patches for several kernel buffer exploits, as well as many other security and
functionality patches, you need to do one thing;

yum upgrade, and answer yes.

Or even easier;
yum -y upgrade.

--