[CentOS] Shearing file systems on the network

Peter Blajev

pblajev at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 24 19:01:31 UTC 2008

I have 4 systems and each one of them has a partition I'd like to be remotely
accessible on the other 3 systems.

In other words System1 has Partition1. Systems 2,3,4 should be able to
remotely mount Partition1 from System1. Also System2 has Partition2. Then
systems 1,3,4 should be able to remotely mount Partition2 from System2 and so
on.

I tried NFS and it works but only in the ideal world. If one of the systems
goes down the whole NFS cross-mounting makes the other systems somewhat
unstable. It's a known issue and I believe you guys are aware of it but I
just had to see it myself.

What would you recommend? What is the best practice for doing that?

Unfortunately SAN and NAS are not really an option due to some financial
restructions. I'm thinking SMB...? Would that work?

Thank you
Peter