[CentOS] Shearing file systems on the network

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jan 25 00:03:04 UTC 2008

Peter Blajev wrote:
> I have 4 systems and each one of them has a partition I'd like to be remotely
> accessible on the other 3 systems.
>
> In other words System1 has Partition1. Systems 2,3,4 should be able to
> remotely mount Partition1 from System1. Also System2 has Partition2. Then
> systems 1,3,4 should be able to remotely mount Partition2 from System2 and so
> on.
>
> I tried NFS and it works but only in the ideal world. If one of the systems
> goes down the whole NFS cross-mounting makes the other systems somewhat
> unstable. It's a known issue and I believe you guys are aware of it but I
> just had to see it myself.
>
> What would you recommend? What is the best practice for doing that?
>
> Unfortunately SAN and NAS are not really an option due to some financial
> restructions. I'm thinking SMB...? Would that work?

if system 1 depends on system 2, AND system 2 depends on system 1, I
dunno, but you're asking for problems.

the normal way people do this is to designate a SERVER, and have all the
other systems mount data off this server.    the server should be
designed and used to maximize uptime.

SMB is a Microsoft Windows protocol, and rather foreign to Unix/Linux,
fine for linux<->windows use, but no good for linux<->linux.

NAS is simply a turnkey NFS fileserver.

SAN is a block storage setup, and doesn't itself allow for sharing
between systems, except in specific cluster configurations.     [SAN
disks]--san---[server system]----NFS----[client systems]  would be what
you'd end up with