[CentOS] Could not connect to host box.domain.tld

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 25 00:49:19 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 22:46 +0100, mouss wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > well, the opportune time to switch is probably when you are starting to
> > set up a new mail server.
> >
> > Dovecot is mostly featureless POP3/IMAP
> >

> Come on. is it holy war time again? should I shoot over cyrus software
> now or should we keep this list clean? If you like cryus software, I am
> happy for you. If you've done a an serious/objective comparative study,
> put it a on a web page (and ask for comments). Debating this here is not
> constructive nor fair.
----
why is it not constructive? Aren't dovecot and cyrus-imapd the only
pop3/imap servers bundled with CentOS? Would not users of CentOS benefit
from the discussion?

To be honest, I haven't looked at dovecot in quite some time...I made
the switch from uw-imapd to cyrus-imapd on about 8 servers several years
ago, finding that dovecot was pretty much like uw-imapd (but with a
maildir implementation). It's likely they've added some features since I
last considered it.
----
> > Cyrus-imapd has built-in...
> > - quota
> > - automatic folder, subscription, sieve scripts
> > - sieve instead of procmail
> > - automatic actions such as purging folders, search indexing on schedule
> > - delayed expunge
> > - shared mailboxes (ACL based)
> > - public mailboxes
> > - idled support
> > - support for virtual users
> >   (no need to have uses with shell/users folders)
> > - easy integration with LDAP
> > - separate directory for mail store (not in users folders)
> >
> > The theory that I used to select cyrus-imapd is/was the idea that if
> > e-mail is the power application that everyone needs/uses, why not give
> > it the maximum performance/features?
> >

> I've been told this a lot of times,  ... about MS Exchange ;-p but this
> list is about CentOS, so I'll stop here.
----
That's an interesting subject. I have a friend who is very pro-Macintosh
and told me that he was planning on buying OSX Server and running all
the various services off it (including mail server, etc.).

I listed out my typical plan, using either RHEL or CentOS, postfix,
horde and a lot of other packages (obviously cyrus-imapd), which I could
list here.

I actually recommended to this friend that he consider Microsoft SBS
server and at least use it as a base for comparison (cost/features)
because regardless of how you and I might feel about Microsoft Exchange
server, it is a viable option if not the standard for small businesses.

I created this wiki page for the discussion of Exchange Server
alternatives...
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Exchange_Server_Alternatives

Craig