[CentOS] Cyrus-Imapd Sieve Unable to connect to server

Alain Reguera Delgado alain.reguera at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 07:45:38 UTC 2008

On 1/24/08, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Alain Reguera Delgado schrieb:
> > Here is the /etc/imapd.conf file.
> > configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
> > partition-default: /var/spool/imap
> > admins: cyrus cyrusadm
> > sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
> > sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
> > hashimapspool: true
> > sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
> > sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
> > tls_cert_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
> > tls_key_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
> > tls_ca_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
> > virtdomains: yes
> > defaultdomain: example.com
> > unixhierarchysep: yes
> >
> For testing please specify additionally
>
> allowplaintext: yes

Option added for testing and after that a `service cyrus-imapd restart` was run.

> >> I wonder that `imtest' succeeds and `sivtest' fails. I think it would
> >> help if you provide an `imtest' run in verbose mode (parameter "-v").
> >>

> > Yep. See:
> >
> > S: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID STARTTLS]
> > orion.example.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.3.7-Invoca-RPM-2.3.7-1.1.el5 server
> > ready
> > C: C01 CAPABILITY
> > S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID STARTTLS ACL RIGHTS=kxte
> > QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT
> > CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
> > THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE IDLE LISTEXT
> > LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE URLAUTH
> > S: C01 OK Completed
> > Please enter your password:
> > C: L01 LOGIN al {15}
> > S: + go ahead
> > C: <omitted>
> > S: L01 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID LOGINDISABLED ACL
> > RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME
> > UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ
> > THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE
> > CONDSTORE IDLE LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE URLAUTH] User logged
> > in
> > Authenticated.
> > Security strength factor: 0
> > C: Q01 LOGOUT
> > Connection closed.
> >
> STARTTLS is offered but not used. I wonder that you can LOGIN with PLAIN
> though the default is to not permit plaintext logins without encryption.
> Thus I beg you to set the additional parameter inside imapd.conf.

done.

> >> Ok. The server even fails to offer authentication properly. Please run
> >> it again in verbose mode with parameter "-v".
> >>

> > Not too much difference from previous one:
> >
> > S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.3.7-Invoca-RPM-2.3.7-1.1.el5"
> > S: "SIEVE" "comparator-i;ascii-numeric fileinto reject vacation
> > imapflags notify envelope relational regex subaddress copy"
> > S: "STARTTLS"
> > S: OK
> > Authentication failed. generic failure
> > Security strength factor: 0
> > C: LOGOUT
> > Connection closed.
> >
> Again no SASL offering. Please check your cyrus-sasl installs.

$ rpm -qa | grep cyrus
cyrus-sasl-2.1.22-4     <------------- see here
cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-1.1.el5
cyrus-sasl-lib-2.1.22-4    <------------- and here
cyrus-imapd-perl-2.3.7-1.1.el5
cyrus-imapd-utils-2.3.7-1.1.el5

> And test
> following: Run
>
> openssl s_client -connect localhost:2000 -starttls smtp

CONNECTED(00000003)
22760:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
protocol:s23_clnt.c:567:

> Does that offer SASL then? You can too test with
>
> sivtest -u al at example.com -a al at example.com -t ""

S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.3.7-Invoca-RPM-2.3.7-1.1.el5"
S: "SIEVE" "comparator-i;ascii-numeric fileinto reject vacation
imapflags notify envelope relational regex subaddress copy"
S: "STARTTLS"
S: OK
C: STARTTLS
S: NO "Error initializing TLS"
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0
C: LOGOUT
Connection closed.

> >> man sivtest -> -m mech
> >>

> > Yep, but which method should we use after -m ... auxprop ?
> >
> No. In imapd.conf you specified your own
>
> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
>

> so it should be obvious which mechanism you can choose. As you
> previously said running sasldb I thought you would offer MD5 mechs, and
> thus my suggestion.

So, to offer MD5 we could add it to sasl_mech_list ? Something like:

sasl_mech_list: PLAIN MD5

> Please report back.
>
> Alexander

Cheers,