[CentOS] Could not connect to host box.domain.tld

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Fri Jan 25 15:09:03 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 22:46 +0100, mouss wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:
>>
>>> well, the opportune time to switch is probably when you are starting to
>>> set up a new mail server.
>>>
>>> Dovecot is mostly featureless POP3/IMAP
>>>

>> Come on. is it holy war time again? should I shoot over cyrus software
>> now or should we keep this list clean? If you like cryus software, I am
>> happy for you. If you've done a an serious/objective comparative study,
>> put it a on a web page (and ask for comments). Debating this here is not
>> constructive nor fair.
>>
> ----
> why is it not constructive?

because expereience shows that such debates should be conducted offlist,
quietly and with arguments. Otherwise, proponents of each side jump on
the wagon at every opportunity to reply to what they feel is an attack
against their "baby". you know the story, so I won't annoy you by
repeating it.

anyway, for it to be constructive, it should start on the right track.
calling dovecot featureless and listing features that are actually
supported by dovecot isn't a good start :)

> Aren't dovecot and cyrus-imapd the only
> pop3/imap servers bundled with CentOS? Would not users of CentOS benefit
> from the discussion?

courier is another choice.
> To be honest, I haven't looked at dovecot in quite some time...I made
> the switch from uw-imapd to cyrus-imapd on about 8 servers several years
> ago, finding that dovecot was pretty much like uw-imapd (but with a
> maildir implementation). It's likely they've added some features since I
> last considered it.
> ----
>
>>> Cyrus-imapd has built-in...
>>> - quota
>>> - automatic folder, subscription, sieve scripts
>>> - sieve instead of procmail
>>> - automatic actions such as purging folders, search indexing on schedule
>>> - delayed expunge
>>> - shared mailboxes (ACL based)
>>> - public mailboxes
>>> - idled support
>>> - support for virtual users
>>>   (no need to have uses with shell/users folders)
>>> - easy integration with LDAP
>>> - separate directory for mail store (not in users folders)
>>>
>>> The theory that I used to select cyrus-imapd is/was the idea that if
>>> e-mail is the power application that everyone needs/uses, why not give
>>> it the maximum performance/features?
>>>

>> I've been told this a lot of times,  ... about MS Exchange ;-p but this
>> list is about CentOS, so I'll stop here.
>>
> ----
> That's an interesting subject. I have a friend who is very pro-Macintosh
> and told me that he was planning on buying OSX Server and running all
> the various services off it (including mail server, etc.).
>
> I listed out my typical plan, using either RHEL or CentOS, postfix,
> horde and a lot of other packages (obviously cyrus-imapd), which I could
> list here.
>
> I actually recommended to this friend that he consider Microsoft SBS
> server and at least use it as a base for comparison (cost/features)
> because regardless of how you and I might feel about Microsoft Exchange
> server, it is a viable option if not the standard for small businesses.

I wouldn't say it's the standard. I'd say that every business should
select the solution that they can afford, not only in terms of pricing
but also in terms of costs of maintenance and the availability of people
who know what to do.

> I created this wiki page for the discussion of Exchange Server
> alternatives...
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Exchange_Server_Alternatives

nice. thanks for the pointer.